New Patient, What Does Physical Therapy Involve?
1. During the first visit with the therapist, an evaluation will be performed.
2. Areas needing treatment will be identified
and a treatment plan created.
3. Almost all physical therapy programs include
stretching, strengthening exercises and education about the
treatments undertaken and body mechanics (how to move your
body to avoid injury).
4. Other treatments such as hot and cold packs,
electrical stimulation, massage, manipulation and other
modalities are often used as well.
5. The number of physical therapy treatments
will vary with the type and severity of the problem
6. Generally, you will be given a home program
to exercise during and after discharge from your physical therapy care.